5 April QOS 1  East Fife 4 Div. Two Crowd: 1276
Scorers:     East Fife: Johnston, Dyer, Prytz, Munro
Team:  Stewart, Strathdee, Gibb, Prytz, Johnston, Ritchie, Dyer (Moffat), Cusick, Kirk (Fisher), Ronald (Roberts), Munro 

Paul Ronald congratulates Kenny Munro after the latter had cheekily stolen the ball from under the nose of the Queen of the South 'keeper to score East Fife's fourth at Palmerston Park. The Queens' goalie can be seen returning to his goal after chasing the referee to the half way line!

Queens kicked off playing towards the uncovered end. After 4 minutes, Robert Prytz crossed from the right. George Johnston caught the ball on his chest and fired an unstoppable shot into the top right hand corner of the net. In twelve minutes East Fife won a corner on the right. The ball was floated in to Matt Dyer on the penalty spot, who headed home just inside the left hand post. In 14 minutes it was three nil - and what a goal! The ball was sent spinning in from the right and fell BEHIND Robert Prytz, who was on the edge of the penalty area WITH HIS BACK TO THE GOAL. Everyone expected Prytz to turn and possibly shield the ball, with the QOS defenders bearing down on him. The veteran Swede sent the 25 or so East Fife travelling supporters into raptures, however, when he BACKHEELED an unstoppable VOLLEY past the helpless Queen's goalie! It all happened so fast and Prytz was so unsighted that the first he could have known that his shot was on target was when the cheer went up from the East Fife support ! I have never seen a goal quite like it.
Queens then came more into the match, but neither side really threatened for the rest of the first half. The second half was only four minutes old when East Fife went 4-0 up with a truly controversial goal. The Queen's 'keeper was about to punt the ball out, but hadn't realised that Kenny Munro was standing right behind him at the time. At the precise moment that the goalie dropped the ball on to his foot, Kenny nipped in from behind and tapped the ball forwards and out of the penalty area. He then nipped past the 'keeper, turned and stroked the ball into the empty net. The QOS players went wild and chased the referee towards the centre spot, claiming that Munro had stolen the ball his hand. Queens pulled one back on the hour, but by then the match was over as a contest.

Return to 'Season 1997/98 Results'